Saturday 23 May 2009

My average conversation in a European Hostel

Introduction: This is where names and places of origin are discussed.

Small Talk: This is where we discuss recent places of travel. If I have been to where they are from or if they have been to where I am from we talk about that. Then we talk about places both(or all of us) have been. Once Prague is mentioned we talk about our favorite beers. This phase of the conversation always (I really do mean always as in 100% of the time) lead into the next phase of the conversation.

What to you do: This is where they say that they are studying finance or some other random thing and then they ask me what I do, then I say a student studying at Cambridge. Inevitably they ask what I am studying. I respond with theology. At this point I may or may not have to explain what theology is. Generally this develops into whoever I am holding the conversation with saying that while they are not religious they do like history and in loving history they have some sort of appreciation for the role the Church plays in history.

So what to you want to be?: The previous part of the conversation will always lead to this question. At this point I will obviously say that I hope to be a pastor. Again, at this point I may or may not have to explain what a pastor is. This is a great part of the conversation because I get to explain why the Church is so much more important that the fact that it plays an important role in history.

So you really believe all that stuff? This is not a universal part of the hostel conversation, but it definitely happens a majority of the time. The lead in is generally one of two things. The first and most common is this: so you don't have sex before marriage? The second most common is this: So you don't think gay people can get married? Sometimes evolution comes up but not always. I am surprised that I have never been asked about abortion at this point in the conversation. This is always the stickiest part of the conversation. I want to stay true to the word of God, including the Law which works on unrepentant hearts to bring them to repentance, but I also don't want to look like a Bible thumping Bible Belt Fundamentalist. I try to explain that my heart and conscience is bound to the Word of God. When they accuse me of being a fundamentalist I try to explain the difference between being orthodox and fundamentalist. I also always try to bring the conversation around to the most important part of why I study theology, why I want to be a pastor, and why I actually believe in the Bible, namely the fact that Jesus has brought salvation to humanity by the forgiveness of sins through his death and resurrection.

Anyway: From here the conversation goes into uncharitable territory. Sometimes we talk about politics or the conversation changes to sports or something entirely different. To this point I have never had someone 'accept' Christ (not that everyone I talk to is a 'heathen' unbeliever), but I really do not expect anyone to after one conversation. I am confident that I have at least broken some people's false conceptions of Christianity and the Church and I am happy with that. Is all I can do from here is pray that the Gospel seed has been planted and someone will come along to water it. In all reality its the Holy Spirits business and He can do anything He wants.

And that is the conversation I have with everyone I talk to. It is never a conversation I set out to have, but it is one that always happens. When I was first having these conversations I almost had a feeling of regret when I told them what I was studying and why. I think it was because I thought that it would put an end to the conversation. This however is just not the case. People are very willing to have a calm and respectable conversation about religion and Christianity. To this point I have never had someone become hostile (hahaha hostile in a hostel) or just blow me off completely. I am continually amazed at how people are honestly interested (or I am amazed at how well they pretend to be interested), not in the Gospel but in the story behind me, the person they are getting to know.

Yep, so that is what I talk about. Every hostel and almost every new person I meet.

1 comment:

Kali said...

I have that conversation every time I get my haircut in the States.